Thursday, June 28, 2012

Dear Kenley on your 2nd birthday,



The more I get to know you, the more I realize how unlike me you are.

You are adventurous, fearless, & brave. I wish I were more like you in this way.

You are a go-getter, & will stop at nothing to succeed at whatever it is you are trying to accomplish. Whether it be climbing on a couch, or turning on my Iphone. You will figure out how to do it--even if it takes you a while.
You are not the least bit shy. You greet everyone sweetly, let anyone hold you, & you don't mind at all being left with someone else. If there is one word to describe you, it would have to be "friendly." You have no concept of personal space and other toddlers your age have kindly let you know this after planting a big wet one on their cheek or wrapping them in one of your kung-fu grip hugs.
You are as active as you possibly could be. Who needs to do squats & go running when I have you to take care of? You are never sitting still. This makes some things very hard--like grocery trips. But I know, deep down inside, that you are an adventurous spirit, & I should just let you be.
You are so smart. I love teaching you new things, but the best is when you let me know that you already knew something. A couple days ago I tried to get you into one of my favorite shirts of yours and you told me “too small, mama!”  … You are becoming such a good listener too. One of my favorite things that you are doing right now is that whenever you are somewhere you are not supposed to be or touching/holding something you know that you are not supposed to you stop and look at me and say “HIIIII!” or “HEY!”… Im sure you wont always let me know when you are doing something wrong but for now-- I will take it.
Last night as we were finishing up dinner you ran outside with your daddy to go to the park while I finished up the dishes and took a nasty fall. I heard your cry and knew something was very wrong. You split your bottom lip right down the middle and hurt one of your baby teeth so much that it moved. You were such a good girl at the dentist this morning and we are going to do our very best to make sure that your tooth ends up ok. Even we end up having to take your tooth out you will still be the most beautiful little girl in the world. Your little hillbilly smile right now is actually pretty cute.

Most of the time I just want to stick you in a big padded bubble where no one or nothing can hurt you... but then again I cant think of some place that YOU would hate more ;)
I cant believe its already been two years since you graced us with your presence. In some senses it feels like you have always been here but then in other ways it seems like in a blink of an eye you went from baby to toddler.
Its been the most amazing two years… full of adventure, discovery, creativity and more love than Ive known in a lifetime.
I'm so proud of everything you are.
Love, Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment