Thursday, August 18, 2011

night-time routine.

Kenley has been sleeping SO well lately and Im loving it... so much so that I figured I would share our night-time routine. She has been sleeping through the night with no problem since she was 6 weeks but lately she has been going down with out so much as a PEEP, wakes up in a happy mood and is getting a full 12 hours at a time!

Bed-time routine has always been my favorite part of the day... and not because Kenley is going to sleep.. but simply because it is so relaxing, for both Kenley and mama. By this point in the day she is a little sleepy which = extra cuddly.

Our habitual order of night time duties (sounds so official!) begins with dinner....
I have always referred to this book for Kenley's nutrition... and still do! She is such a good eater so I am loving trying all of the new recipies approved for one year olds :)



Next is bath time...
Kenley loves the bath... although she has recently picked up a bad habit of standing up in the tub. This is a dangerous combination for a soapy, slippery, wobbly baby. We have found a quick solution to this problem by distracting her with toys... however! the best bath distraction isnt really a toy...
One of her gifts from her second birthday party was these little rubber circles with suction cups on the bottom, meant to keep babies from slipping in the tub. You can place the little colored circles wherever you want in the tub and they actually turn WHITE when the water is too hot!!
Kenley spends the better part of bath time trying to pull the circles off the bottom of the tub... fine by me! Whatever keeps her on her buns!


After the bath I wrap her up like a sweaky clean little burrito with a hooded towel (cutest thing ever) and dry her off on her changing table. She finally has enough hair that I actually DO have to comb it and get the knots out :)
I then give her a little baby massage with our FAVORITE Burt's Bee's Baby Bee lotion. We have used this lotion since the very first bath we gave her so I have a feeling that smell will forver remind me of these days...

She then gets wrapped up in some magical concoction/combination of a cloth diaper and into her adorable little jammies. Right now my go-to night time diaper is the BestBottom diaper with a hemp insert.
Since it has been SO hot... her jammies have usually just been a little nighty-dress of some kind. (maybe I should take a picture of that... its pretty cute :)

The windows in her room stay closed all day along with the blinds to keep the heat out. After her bath we open all four windows in her room... WIDE open... (we make sure to close them first thing again in the morning).

Let me back up for a moment and say that when we come in her room after bath time, I turn on her iHome that has the iPod "touch" on it and play the Elizabath Mitchell Pandora station... if you dont know Elizabath Mitchell, she sings children music- very lullaby-ish... and so cute.
With our music still on low... we have daddy bring in three books (which have to be different than the three books from the night before). Either Gavin or I sit in the glider and read to Kenley.... which is MY favorite part.

So you can picture... the windows are all open, there is usually a little breeze moving through the room, the crickets are chirping and we are gliding back and forth to the tunes of Elizabath Mitchell. There is a newly cleaned and lotioned baby on my lap who is ready to get lost in a good book with me. Like I said... favorite moment of the day.

Kenley is finally to the point where she will sit quietly, listen, follow along (without trying to turn the pages with her feet).
Kenley has been given SO many amazing books... Im not sure she has a favorite yet but Im sure she will.



After the third book, we turn off the light (and music)... I grab the little square "napkin" as Gavin calls it (that she cant sleep without and covers her face with)... put it on my chest so she relaxes on me while we are still sitting in the glider...
We say our prayers and then I place her in her crib with her "napkin." ....She brings it up to her cheek rolls over on her side.

I quietly leave the room and turn her fan on.


At that point I wont see her again until morning... which makes me miss her already (so sad, I know.)

sweet dreams little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment