Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Letter #7

Ok, little one... so its very apparent that I didnt get to twenty something letters like I hoped. But to finish them off I wanted to share your birth story.

One year ago today I was one uncomfortable mama. I kept saying that I was "just going to be pregnant forever." I was shocked that I was four days past my due date. I was so ready for you to be here and was just trying not to get impatient. I knew I really did not want to be induced so I just prayed you would come on your own.

June 29 was a Tuesday last year. In my last four weeks of pregnancy I had been seeing Dr. King every Tuesday. I went it that morning knowing that the word "induction" was going to be put out on the table. I knew this because the very first due date that I had been given was June 11 and everyone was thinking you should have been here by now. Dr. King did not want me to go more than 7 days past the last due date that he had given me. I had been dialted at 2 cm and had been having irregular contractions for 3 weeks and when he checked me that morning I was still at a 2. He said that I would be reporting to labor and delivery Thursday night to start my induction. I was pretty bummed out. I really had wanted the whole thing to start naturally but trusted him and knew that it was best.

Your daddy and I left his office and he decided to cheer me up with some Jamba Juice. When we got there I got out of the car to feel a huge "rush" of fluid. "MY WATER!" I reached down to swipe my pants and what I thought was my "water" was actually blood. My hand was covered in it. I was so scared baby! No one told me that bleeding was even a possibility. Your daddy immediately called Dr. King back and told him what had happened. He told us to go home, for me to lie down and if the bleeding didnt stop in the next 2 hours to come back in.

When we went home, my contractions started to pick up and the bleeding had not stopped. We called Dr. King again and were on our way to labor and delivery by about 1:00 in the afternoon. When we got there a nurse "checked" me again... I had quickly dialted to a 4 within just a matter of hours. She said, "wow, her head is RIGHT there... looks like you wont be going anyhwere!"

I was so relieved to know that you were on your way.

Granny, Uncle Mike, Grandma Patty, and Auntie Tiff got to the hospital as quick as they could. Your daddy and I decided that we just wanted it to be the two of us in the room when you were born and I didnt want to be talked out of that once people arrived so I made them promise not to tell anyone that I was in labor. I LOVED having just the four of them there.

We walked the halls to try and speed things up. The pain was still no more than some bad period cramps, which I have been very used to. until.............. 3:00 pm rolled around and my water broke. what a WEIRD sensation. I swear I heard a POP and then followed a huge gush, all over the hallway.
My nurse (who was wonderful by the way) warned me that pain was really going to pick up and that I needed to get back on the monitors for a little bit. and my oh my was she right.

 I kicked and cried and breathed and moaned. With each horrible contraction I pictured a wave and the pain coming and leaving with the wave. It helped... for a little bit (haha) I

By 8:00 pm I had dialted to a 7. I was dying baby. The pain was just too much. I had gone into my labor very open to different options for pain relief. While I had wanted to go all-natural and was SO close to the end.... when the nurse came in and told me that "this was my last opportunity for an epidural before it was too late"... I took her up on it. and to this day... I am so happy with that decision. although I wish I had done it sooner!

My epidural ending up working PERFECTLY. I was left with feeling in my legs and moved them as much as I wanted to yet had amazing relief from the pain of my contractions. I could still feel them but not near as bad. I was so relaxed and really enjoyed the rest of the process.

Around 9:30 pm... it was time to push..... and push.... and push.... and push.... and push.... (this went on for two hours) it hurt so bad baby!! I remember feeling so nauseated and came so close to throwing up several times but never did. Your daddy was such a great coach and talked me through the whole thing.

At 11:35 pm Dr. King said... "reach down and grab your baby!" so I reached down and pulled you the rest of the way out.
and there you were.

You were so warm and slimy.... and BEAUTIFUL. I remember the very first thing I did was double check to see if you were really a girl. (I just wasnt convinced the whole time) haha. We sat there and just stared into each others eyes for a while before you went and got cleaned up.

I was so anxious to get you back. I stayed up and held you all night.... even though I knew we would be in for a long day of visitors the following days.
When you werent getting visitors, I spent most of my time nursing you and just looking at you. I couldnt believe that YOU, such a beautiful little being, were what was inside of me all that time.

It still boggles my mind. The human body is truly a miracle.

You turn ONE tomorrow little girl. I cant believe it but it has been the best year of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment