Thursday, June 16, 2011

Letter #5

Kenley,

This is the story of how you and I came to re-define the term "retail therapy."

I cant WAIT until I can tell you all about our adventures at Kissui... about the hours on end I had to strapped to my back (and front), about how you were the perfect floor model and about the crazy outfits you got to wear...

Tomorrow you and I will pack up in the morning and be in Redlands by 10:00am. We will stop at Coffee Bean and get "the usual." We will drive two more blocks where I will park and first admire the adorable window display of the place we call work. The store looks so peaceful in the morning. Before I turn on the lights, there is a perfect beam of sun that lights up the front of the store, like a spotlight.

When I put the key in the door and hear it creak open, I realize thats the last time all day the store will be quiet enough to hear it "creak." ... because for the rest of the day it will be a combination of noises: our random mash-up of Pandora stations, the gib-gab of all the fabulous mommies, the phone ringing and of course your cute and not-so-little noises. Throughout our shift we will be doing cloth diaper and baby wearing demonstrations- I will tell the curious mamas what has worked for you and I (and what hasnt) , what everyone else at Kissui suggests and of course, the crunchy-green way of doing things. Meanwhile, everyone will poke and gawk over you and you will act like its nothing new, which it isnt but youre a trooper anyway. We will keep the store tidy and stocked. We will sweep. We will type up baby registiries and we will call our patient customers to let them know that our "______ shipment has finally arrived."

By the time you and I are both drenched in sweat I will put you in the little red chair that sits behind the counter. Its like a highchair with no tray. There you will dig into your cheerios or peach puffs. Unless I put you at the perfect coordinates, you will tug on the tissue paper display or start pulling stuff off the counters. Its a perfected art-form, baby.

So really, you can tell Kissui doesnt really feel like "retail" at all. I like to think of it more as a cool-club for-crunchy-moms-who-do-their-research.... who in exchange for sparkling converstation (and a sneak-peek at their brand new baby or soon-to-pop belly) get to check out all our cool stuff.

In a Japanese dictionary you will find "kissui" to mean; pure, genuine and natural... and it is all of those things (plus some over the top adorable clothes/assessories) but for your Mama, it has been a life-saver... a reason to get showered, clothed and OUTSIDE! To say that I have enjoyed getting to know the other girls that work there and have had fun hanging with them seems like such a HUGE understatement... I wish I knew them from day one down here!
 But more importantly, I think its been good for you too. You LOVEEE checking out all the other babies and you are so intriguied by all the colors, shapes and sounds of the store.

People are always complaining about their co-workers, clearly none of them have worked with you. Thanks for being awesome.


12 days til you are one.

Love, Mama



No comments:

Post a Comment