Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"you're still very loveable" - bon iver

Im cuddled up in sweats after a long morning and afternoon at work. Kenley and I got soaked from head to toe as we were leaving work! Loving the rain :)

I figured I probably shouldnt do a post like the last one without giving an update.

First I just want to thank everyone for all of the love and support from a distance. I keep saying the hardest part has been not having anyone down here but as I expected, my friends and family have been amazing and Im not sure I could feel anymore love than I do already! Thank you everyone for all of your words of positivity and encouragement.

As I mentioned in my last post, I had my appointment with the endocrinologist on Friday. I think it went as well as it could have. I was extremly nervous and anxious as you can imagine. Gavin ended up flying home the morning of my appointment for his test so he was not able to come. He was really dissapointed that his flight ended up being so early but it was $100 cheaper for him to fly out of LAX instead of the Ontario airport by us. So Kenley and I dropped him off Friday morning and picked up Sarah on our way home... it ended up being perfect timing. The three of us got back here and took a much needed nap and then my friend Kaley ended up going to my appointment with me while Sarah watched Kenley (and got to spend some quality time with her Goddaughter).

I ended up seeing the doctor an entire hour later than my appointment was scheduled for which I guess was expected but just made the anxiety build.
The nurse came in with my file shortly before the doctor did and right away I asked to see the results of my lab work that I had done four days before that got directly sent to them.
I was shocked to see that my DHEA levels had dropped 127 points in two weeks. (from 327 to 200)
The nurse stated that she had never seen a drop that drastic before... which worried me obviously.
When the doctor came in, it didnt seem to shock him or worry him quite as much.
"Yes, 327 is high... but that could be for lots of reasons."
Then we talked about possible reasons and what to do from here.
He called varying hormonal results "noise in the system"... meaning that we could take a look at my hormone levels every week and they would always be different. but did state that a 127 point drop was more than "noise in the system."....Which is why we are going to do one more week of blood tests and go from there. I follow up with Dr.Riley  on February 24th and my mom will be in town to go with me since Gavin will be in Arizona playing at ASU for the weekend.
He did suggest that I could have a mild version of PCOS (polysystic ovarian syndrome) which you can read about here.
Ovarian cysts are common and almost always pass on their own.
Dr. Riley was also very attentive and let me ask lots of questions about the PCOS and anything else I was wanting to know more about. Its always refreshing to meet with a doctor that you feel like that actually cares! He did say that he would be surprised if there was a tumor on an adrenal gland because the levels would have stayed high instead of an immense drop. WHAT A RELIEF!! I would have to say that was my biggest worry. With all of that said, I am interested as to what my blood work will look like next week. I promise to keep everyone posted on this as well.
The rest of the weekend was great and I was ready to unwind a little. After my appointment my brother watched Kenley so that Sarah, Kaley and I could go grab a beer and see a movie. We went to BJs so I could get my favorite "BJs Brewhouse Blonde Ale" and then went to see "The Vow." It was the best movie I have seen in a long time. I have been SOOOO dissapointed with recent movies I have seen. Old movies are just so much better and thats actually what The Vow reminded me of!
On Saturday Sarah and I stopped by Gavins alumni game (which Gavin wasnt playing in obviously since he wasnt there haha) but I had to stop by and see everyone real quick and drop off Kenley's Valentines :)
I was especially happy to see Lori Carrico (aka Mama Lori) who is Dustins (my brother husbands) mom! It was weird to have her sitting on the alumni side this year. I am going to miss having her at games this season. She always seems to know how to put a smile on my face and is ALWAYS so encouraging. She has shown us so much support since we have gotten to know her. Gavin and I became very close to Dustin (her son) almost immediately when we moved down here. He was Gavins closest friend on the team and he was always over here. The biggest testimony to the kind of friend Dustin is was the fact that he babysat Kenley the day that he got drafted by the Mets (yes the New York Mets) so that I could get out of the house and go play golf for my birthday. I absolutely love the two of them. I make sure to tell Lori every time I see her how much we love Dustin and what a good job she did raising that kid! And in return... she has for me words of advice, patience and gratitude. I dont know if she realizes the kind of impact she has had on me but I know she reads my blog so maybe now she will know. Thank you Mama Lori. xoxo
The rest of Saturday Sarah and I spent at the mall. I hadnt shopped in forever but had no money so I guess it wasnt really shopping. I should probably just stay out of the mall all together because I just get angry haha! hmmm... I could really use new running shoes..... or these nude wedges.... or....
just stop Jess!! there will always be something you could "use." However I did get a cute $14 shirt that I wore to work on Valentines day :)
Sunday morning we woke up real early again to pick up Gavin from the airport in LA. After we picked him up we visited a very quiet Rodeo drive. I was determined to find some celebrities but all we ended up seeing was the outside of the hotel that Whitney Houston died in on Saturday.... which was pretty cool actually. There were news crews eveywhere.
They were also gearing up for the Grammys over at the Staples Center so it was a busy day for the city of Los Angeles. Still not sure how I feel about that place.
Of course Sarah and I had to watch the Grammys. More like she fell asleep on the couch watching it and I caught bits and pieces while I worked on Valentines cookies for the Kissui babies :)
(Yep, I made the cake batter ones from my previous post! They turned out amazing.)
My favorite part of the Grammys is always the fashion. I love seeing all the dresses. My favorite part of the Grammys THIS year was the fact that my favorite new artist won, well, best new artist!
If you dont know Bon Iver (pronounced Bon EE-VEER) please get to know him! His sleepy sounds and lyrics are a bedtime go-to for Kenley and I right now.

Looking forward to my in-laws being here this weekend. Gavins team is hosting a home series vs BYU so it should be a fun weekend at the ball feild. cant believe season is here already...but so glad it is.


1 comment:

  1. Oh Jessica you and your little family are so precious to us. We love you all so much. Your right it felt very weird sitting on the Alumni side, but so glad to hug and see you and Kenley. We to went to the outside mall after the game and got soaked, but the boys found some much needed jeans they like. Kids just don't stop growing.....Gavin pitch your heart out and enjoy, we are so hopefully that your test went well and excited for you to start your new adventure after you graduate later this year!

    ReplyDelete