Monday, February 6, 2012

february in a flash

I must mean business if I just unplugged my lap top, removed it from my work desk and sat down on the couch. This usually means I am blogging. and for the record... I tried FIVE seperate times to upload the video of Kenley and her "Quiet Book." in my previous post .... my computer obviously had other plans. Ill try and post some pics later.

When talking to a fellow blogger friend yesterday ;) I mentioned that I enjoyed reading her blog so much but totally have neglected my own. Her response was something along the lines of "two jobs and a toddler... blogging is probably the last thing you have time for." I never really think of it this way, since I make time to do other leisurely things but its true... it has not been a priority. Needless to say, everytime I sit down to think about what I should or could blog about lately, my mind goes to one place that I wasnt sure I wanted to share.... but I could use the support and my friends and family are really very good at that.

I guess I debated on making it public knowledge that I have some health concerns going on because
a) I dont know enough about it yet
b) I dont want anyone to worry
c) I havent really liked talking about it

Having said that... let me elaborate.

When we were home for Christmas, I had my IUD removed... for serveral reasons that I wont get into but lets just say that it was not working for me... both physically and emotionally. I ENVY anyone that the Mirena IUD works for... it was so convenient and on paper, basically perfect. However, it drove me insane for 18 months straight and I felt like I had given it a fair chance.

When I had it removed I think I expected immediate relief. Not only did that not happen but my symptoms worsened. I decided to try and find an OB/GYN down here.

Through one of Gavin's teammate's moms (who works for this doctor's office in Loma Linda, fairly close to us) I was able to find a great doctor who has been VERY thorough with me. I discussed my medical history with her in great detail and was able to express some of my concerns. She was attentive and helpful immediately. She ordered several blood tests to check my thyroid and other contributing hormones.

So I have to say I was not surprised when I got a phone call a couple of days later to find out that one of my tests had come back abnormally. I was told to come back and see Dr. Sawyer before she left for vacation later in the week. I ended up coming in the very next day to find out that my levels for the hormone DHEA were high. (normal range being 40-300 and mine was 327).

Terms from Anatomy 101 started swirling in my head... I remembered DHEA but wasnt sure what this could mean. DHEA is a hormone that your adrenal glands produce. The adrenals sit on top of each kidney and when the level of this hormone is as high as mine is, it can mean that there is a tumor on one of the glands.

You can imagine how the room starts to spin and your whole body tenses as the words "adrenal tumor" gets thrown out there. BUT!! it could mean something else, which is why I am seeing an expert on the subject.

Dr. Sawyer reffered me to an Endocrinologist named Dr. Michael Riley in Riverside that I am seeing this Friday. I am very anxious to find out more but have done my best to keep doing everything as normally as possible. I dont want to give myself a reason to worry until I really need one.

One of my best friends Sarah (Kenley's Godmother) is coming down to hang with Kenley on the day of the appointment and be with me while Gavin is gone for the weekend. I hadnt even finished explaining everything to her on the phone before she said she was looking at flights to come down.

Gavin is actually going home this weekend for the written exam portion of the California Fish and Game Academy in Sacramento. The application process takes an entire year and if all goes according to plan, he will be starting the academy to become a "game warden." If you dont know what this is, its very similar to a Sheriff only they enforce hunting and fishing laws. Gavin has really been pursing this and has made it possible to be done with school by then. He is working SO hard.

I believe I mentioned in an earlier post that Gavin would be taking 20 units during baseball season.
Well... we are in the thick of it. I knew it was going to be hard but WOW. Gavin is beyond busy. Kenley and I barely see him and when we do I feel like all I do is ask for help, because frankly, I need it!

As you can tell we have a lot on our plates. Its been important for me to just take things one day at a time and deal with whatever is going on the moment. I have to be honest though... we are so close to being done here and I have never been so close to throwing in the towel. Its been a lot to deal with at once and I could use some help. Im not giving up though and try to keep in mind how worth it this will all be... HOPEFULLY very soon.

AND  on a much lighter note...Im so excited for baseball season to be here. As busy as it makes Gavin, I absolutely love going to his games. This weekend we had the seasoner opener family BBQ. It was so much fun. Its such an awesome team and they all come from amazing families. They all love Kenley and are so cute with her. If you saw the picture of her wearing a pink backpack on instagram, that was given to her Saturday by one of the moms and it was filled with new books, snacks and CANDY :) At the games I tend to get a little bit of a break as everyone passes her around. Although this year they will be CHASING her around.

The weekend before last we spent in Balboa (right by Huntington Beach) with my friend of 20 years Caitlin and her boyfriend. I shouldnt say we spent the weekend because really it was just late Saturday evening that we got in and had to leave sunday morning (which was not long enough at ALL) so Gavin could get to baseball and work. Right when we got there Caitlin and Alex had a delicious dinner prepared and then we took a 75 cent ferry ride to Balboa Island where we got what is called a "Balboa Bar".... basically deliciousness on a stick. Caitlin and I woke up a FIVE the next morning to take a run on the beach. I really cant think of anything more relaxing. We then got ready and Cait did a morning family beach shoot of us before we took off. For Christmas Caitlin gave me a certificate that said she would FRAME a family portrait of us... which is so so so generous of her. I cant wait to see it because the pictures turned out awesome. She is so unbelievably talented and I love showing off her work.




As for the little lady in the middle of the picture... I dont know what to say. She could probably tell you how she is doing herself! She is talking up a storm. I can pretty much get her to repeat anything but the words she comes up with on her own are the best. A personal favorite right now is "Oh boy!"

She is pooping on the toilet twice a day but is still wearing a diaper a night while we get the pee situation down. Yes, I know its early but this is not anything we forced. Cloth diapered babies almost always potty train quicker because of the fact that they have always felt when they are wet. She tells us "poo poo!!" and off to her little potty we go.

She is still a trooper on days I bring her to work and I love having her there.

I know everyone says they grow up fast but I swear Kenley is defying the aging process. I blink and she has a new word, a new idea, a new dance. I love her creativity and bottle up a little for myself every night as I rock her to sleep.

Things Im looking forward to: Sarah this weekend, Gavins family the next weekend and spending the weekend in San Diego with my family the following weekend while Gavin is in Arizona.

Well... maybe if I blogged more, my posts wouldnt be mistaken for epic novels.

I will do my best to keep everyone posted on... well... everything!

Jess

4 comments:

  1. hi jessica! i'll definitely be praying for your dr.'s appointment.....and, you are blessed to have SUCH a great friend who will drop everything to be here for you. ;) i know you don't know me very well, but i promise i'm normal (kinda ;)...so, if you EVER need a break, i'd love to watch kenley for a few hours & she could play with alana. if you don't have my # anymore let me know & i'll give it to you again. also, i LOVE the pics your friend took...such a beautiful family. btw, i agree that running on the beach is one of the most relaxing things ever...i wash the beach was in my backyard. ;) well, you've inspired me to blog so hopefully there will be something besides "alana's frst birthday" as the first thing you see on there (which, by the way was almost 1 1/2 years ago...haha!) i hope we see you at story time soon. ~shan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh... I just got a mirena... Well we will see but I am definitely praying for you!!!!! Life is scary and challenging thank goodness for our family and friends and God. He has a hand in everything and I know I couldn't go on without his help- youre family is always in my thoughts xoxo(not in a creepy way- in an I can't believe how cute/awesome/ I wanna be you kind of way hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you. Hope all goes well at your appointment. Will be keeping you in my thoughts. Your family is so cute! Love the new pictures. Kenley is beautiful. Keep your chin up!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sweetness: Will be praying to St. Jude. You have a lot of people -family and friends sending their prayers. Hope you don't mind, but I Love your blog. Like I stated will be sending good thoughts to you.
    PS Kenley is so beautiful and you and Gavin are giving her the very best of yourselves. So proud of the both of you:)

    ReplyDelete