Saturday, July 14, 2012

updates and countdowns


I find myself with a little extra time this afternoon to do a post while Kenley and I sit on the porch, locked out until Gavin gets home from work.
... well that's not entirely true, I could get in the house if I really needed to, but he will be home any minute and Kenley is sound asleep next to me in her stroller.
We had the best day.
We left the house around 9:30 to catch the bus at University Village (about a mile away) and rode it all the way downtown to make it to the farmers market.
I originally wanted to go since I was in dire need of some raw local honey for my allergies (which totally helps by the way).
seems like such a simple thing, but have you ever read a public transit schedule? may be not as easy as it sounds! ...... so basically if anyone needs to know the Riverside bus schedule Im your gal.... which I realize is a really valuable skill to have.
There is definitely an eclectic crowd that rides the bus and some were very interested in what Kenley and I were up to, yet all completely harmless.
It was a fun little adventure while Gavin was at work and we were car-less.

And I got all my local yummies for under $10! (figs, tomatoes and honey)

Totally unrelated I have some good news....

the most important being that on Thursday we found out that Kenley has been accepted to the preschool at SSU! I guess all I needed to do was to a blog post saying how worries about it I was.
I am so beyond excited about this. Like I said, so much depended on whether or not she got in and now I feel like we can move forward with the rest of our plans.

In other news it seems we may FINALLY have Kenleys rash under control. I am summarizing to a fault when I say that I am beyond frustrated with how THREE different pediatricians handled this situation with her. After four visits in two weeks (the most recent one being yesterday) we were finally given the prescription she needs and they are finally giving it a name....
Kenley has a secondary (meaning as a cause of something else, and in Kenleys case was a diaper rash) superficial (meaning close to the very top most surface of her skin) staph infection. So if you didnt catch that it's a "secondary superficial staph infection".... which my mother instincts told me all along and I can't BELIEVE took this long to diagnose.
After tracking down $100 worth of prescriptions (which she is taking FOUR times a day) she is finally looking a little better today.
I feel so bad this has taken so long to be taken care of. Poor Kenley... If you have seen pictures of what she is going through you can imagine just how painful and annoying this must be for her, yet she barely has complained about it.
We are hoping for a quick recovery and hopefully no scarring.
This has truly been one of the most frustrating things I've ever gone through and I'm so glad my mom will be here in two weeks for her follow up appointment. She is just as ready to give these doctors a piece of her mind as well.

I realize everyone makes mistakes but it's hard to have much compassion when they've seen this rash not change much in several months and refused to call it anything until yesterday.

here's to a quick recovery!


we are ending today with a birthday party for one of our newest little friends in family housing named August. He, his little sister Nola and parents Ashley and Truman just moved here from New Orleans. Every time Gavin and I have seen them in the past couple of weeks we end up saying to each other, "of COURSE we would meet them right before we move..." They really are some of the best people we have met in family housing... not to mention just a stunningly beautiful family.

It really is funny how even in the past month we has become closer friends with people we have known here and even formed new friendships. It really just does go to show that it takes a while to grow your roots somewhere and get settled.

.....

WE MOVE TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY!!


1 comment:

  1. We are going to miss you all so much. Please continue with this wonderful blog Jess. So excited for you and your new beginnings. Pumped that Kenley gets in the school daycare so she is close to you. Proud you get to finish your degree. Proud that Gavin has his complete and a job he wants. You will be by your family again. I know what that is like and love having mine just a few hours away. Love you all, keep in touch and we will have to visit your stomping grounds soon.Love Lori and famiy

    ReplyDelete